Engineering Studies – P1 Fundamental Engineering – Materials and Manufacturing
This topic introduces ceramic material types and applications. Key concepts include identifying potential applications and advantages of ceramic material and describing manufacturing methods used with various ceramics.
- Definition of ceramic material
- Ceramic types
- Properties and applications of ceramics
- Ceramic shaping methods
- Define a ceramic material.
- Describe the different types of ceramics in terms of composition/structure.
- Describe the different types of ceramics in terms of properties.
- Describe the advantages of common ceramics – brick, tile and concrete as construction materials.
- Describe common shaping methods used for clay ceramic
- What are the properties of concrete that make it suitable for civil structures?
- What features would be shown and labelled when drawing a macrostructure of concrete?
- What material is used in common house bricks?
- How are bricks manufactured?
- What features would be drawn and labelled in a macrostructure of a ceramic brick?
- What glass is used in common window glass?
- How is common window glass manufactured?
- What features would be drawn and labelled when drawing a microstructure of glass?
- Describe a common shaping method used for window glass.