Engineering Studies – P2 Product Engineering – The Engineering Profession
This topic discusses the roles of a professional engineer, their typical responsibilities and skills. The engineering design process, problem solving and the importance of teamwork are key concepts. Future trends in engineering are investigated.
- The nature and range of work of an engineer
- Engineering research, documentation and communication
- Emerging trends in the engineering profession
- The engineering design process
- Teamwork in engineering
- What are the roles that a product engineer might perform before, during and after a project?
- What is a project manager?
- Discuss how product engineers might research and communicate ideas.
- In what ways might technical data be presented?
- Describe how engineers use the design process to develop engineering solutions, specifically problem solving.
- Explain the reasons why graphical communication is a key element in engineering.
- Discuss an example of an engineered solution and what the process was to develop an engineering solution.
- Discuss examples that highlight why teamwork is important in engineering.