Engineering Studies – P2 Product Engineering – Mechanical Analysis
This topic covers basic concepts of force analysis and understanding of force systems. Newtons laws are reviewed and ways of representing forces explained. Key concepts include the concept of force system equilibrium, transmissibility of forces, the centre of mass and the concept of concurrent force systems and couple force systems.
- Representing forces
- Space and free body diagrams
- Newton’s laws
- Defining mass, weight and gravity
- Stress principles
- Resultants, equilibrants and components
- Concurrent force systems – The three force rule
- Define the terms magnitude, units, direction and sense (MUDS) in terms of force?
- What are space and free body diagrams (FBD)?
- Why are Newtons 3 laws of motion relevant?
- Define a body in force equilibrium.
- Are there advantages in both analytical and graphical solutions when analysing force situations?
- What is the ‘centre of mass’ of a body?
- What is a concurrent force system?
- Explain how a forces magnitude, direction and sense are indicated.
- Describe a weight force, the effect of gravity on mass.