Engineering Studies – H1 Civil Engineering – The Engineering Profession
This topic discusses the roles of a civil engineer and their typical responsibilities and skills. The engineering design process and the importance of teamwork are key concepts. Future trends in civil engineering are investigated.
Civil engineering is a professional engineering discipline that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of the built environment, including works like roads, bridges, canals, dams, and buildings.
- The nature and range of work of a civil engineer
- Engineering research, documentation and communication
- Emerging trends in the engineering profession
- The engineering design process
- Teamwork in engineering
- What are the roles that a civil engineer might perform before, during and after a project?
- Discuss how engineers research and communicate ideas.
- How might technical data be presented?
- Describe how engineers use the design process to develop engineering solutions.
- Discuss examples that highlight why teamwork is important in engineering.