Engineering Studies – H3 Aeronautical Engineering – Mechanical Analysis
This topic uses examples in aeronautical situations to analyse force systems. The key concept is the relationship between lift, weight, thrust, and drag on an aircraft.
- The forces of flight including:
- Lift to weight ratio
- The ‘angle of attack’.
- How is a lift force generally developed on an airplane?
- Discuss why lift force is opposing weight force.
- Discuss why the thrust force opposes the drag force.
- Describe why would the lift to weight ratio be important in aeronautics?
- Explain why would aircraft engineers design to minimise drag and increase thrust?
- Define the term ‘the angle of attack’ in aircraft flight.
- Define the term ‘gliding’.