Engineering Studies – H3 Aeronautical Engineering – Mechanical Analysis
This topic introduces methods of developing thrust in aircraft. These propulsion systems include jet engines and engines driving propellers. Relating aircraft type to appropriate propulsion type is a key concept.
- Propulsion systems including:
- Internal combustion engines
- Jet engines such as turbo fan, ram and scram
- Turboprop engines
- Identifying appropriate propulsion systems for various purpose aircraft
- Discuss the typical types of aircraft and their applications to long haul, short haul, passenger, cargo and recreation flying.
- List the types of propulsion systems often used in:
- Short haul commercial passenger aircraft.
- Long haul commercial passenger aircraft.
- Light recreational aircraft.
- Describe how jet engines generate thrust.
- Describe how propellers generate thrust.
- Explain the advantages of a propeller driven propulsion system compared to a jet propulsion system.
- Explain the advantages of a jet propulsion system compared to a propeller propulsion system.
- What future developments are targeted for propulsion systems in the future?
- Environmentally, transportation by air could be described positively as being very efficient while transport by air also has environmental negatives. Explain.