Engineering Studies – P1 Fundamental Engineering – Mechanical Analysis
This topic introduces basic concepts of force analysis and understanding of force systems. The various causes of forces are identified. Equilibrium of force systems, transmissibility of forces, centre of mass and explanation of concurrent force systems are key concepts of this topic.
- Definition of a force
- Units of force
- Equilibrium of forces
- Types of forces
- Transmissibility of a force
- Representing and adding forces
- The ‘centre of mass’
- Concurrent force systems -the three-force rule
- What is a force?
- What effect does gravity have on mass?
- What are the units of force?
- What are the conventions about describing and representing a force?
- Describe the concepts of Newtons three laws
- Tension and compression forces
- What is equilibrium?
- What is the centre of mass?