Engineering Studies – P1 Fundamental Engineering – Mechanical Analysis
This topic introduces the concept of simple machines. Various categories of simple machines are identified and the concepts of mechanical advantage, velocity ratio and the efficiency of machines are key concepts of this topic.
- Definition of a simple machine
- Identifying simple machine types
- Mechanical advantage
- Velocity ratio
- The principal of work
- Efficiency in machines
- Define the purpose of a simple machines purpose.
- Define a mechanical advantage.
- Define velocity ratio.
- Define the principle of work.
- How is efficiency determined?
- Define what a lever achieves.
- Describe various lever classes.
- How is the mechanical advantage and the velocity ratio of a lever determined?
- Define what a pulley, and pulley systems achieve.
- Describe various pulley arrangements.
- How is the mechanical advantage and the velocity ratio of pulleys determined?
- Define what a gear achieves and name the features of a gear.
- Describe various gear arrangements.
- How is the mechanical advantage and the velocity ratio of gears determined?
Wedges and the Inclined Plane
- Define what a wedge achieves and name common applications of wedges.
- How is the mechanical advantage and the velocity ratio of a wedge determined?