Engineering Studies – P1 Fundamental Engineering – Materials and Manufacturing
This topic introduces polymer material types and applications. Key concepts include identifying potential applications and advantages of both thermosetting and thermosoftening polymer material and describing manufacturing methods used with polymers.
- Categories of polymers
- Structure descriptions and sketching
- Shaping techniques
- Properties and deformation
- Describe features of thermosetting polymer
- Describe features of thermosoftening polymer
- Describe features of an elastomer
- Why are polymers suitable for shaping into complex shapes?
- Describe types of polymer shaping processes –
- Blow moulding
- Vacuum forming
- Injection moulding
- When drawing a macrostructure of a polymer, what is the significant difference between a Thermosetting and a Thermosoftening polymer?