Engineering Studies – P3 Braking Systems – Mechanical Analysis
This topic covers the definition and relevance of the engineering terms ‘stress’ and ‘strain’.
Methods of determining stress and strain values are described and the interpretation of the data explained.
- Tension and compression forces
- Types of stress
- Defining strain
- Load /extension and stress/strain graphs
- Define stress and list the common types of stress.
- Explain the units used in stress values.
- Explain the difference between a load/extension graph and a stress/strain graph.
- Describe the procedure of the test being performed that creates a load/extension diagram.
- Outline how material properties can be identified on the graph produced by a tensometer – strength, elasticity, ductility, toughness and stiffness.
- Outline how a stress/strain graph varies for a range of engineering materials – ceramics, metals or polymers.
321 Stress Strain Fundamentals -DRv1.0
Stress and Stain Discussion question responses - contributed by John Gibson