Engineering Studies – P3 Braking Systems – Mechanical Analysis
This topic introduces the topic of friction and introduces the analysis of frictional forces. The key concepts include identifying both positive applications and negative effects of frictional forces.
- The concept of static friction and the frictional force
- Calculating static friction force values
- Application where friction is:
- an inefficiency
- Explain what is meant by the term ‘coefficient of friction’.
- How is the ‘limiting friction’ force value defined?
- Define the ‘angle of friction’.
- What is the meaning of the term ‘normal’ force?
- What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?
- Describe example situations where friction needs to be maximized.
- Describe example situations where friction needs to be minimized.