Engineering Studies – P3 Braking Systems – Materials and Manufacturing
This topic investigates the definition, structure and applications of cast irons. The effect that cast iron phases have on the properties are outlined.
- Defining Cast Iron
- Engineering properties of cast iron
- Macro and micro structures of cast iron
- Describe the manufacturing process of cast iron.
- Describe the applications of cast iron in braking systems.
- Describe the microstructures of cast irons.
- Describe the manufacturing process used to produce brake cylinders in cast iron.
- Discuss the similarities and differences between the structure of steel and cast iron for brake rotors.
- Discuss the properties of cast iron that make it preferable to steel in the production of brake rotors.
- What properties are required of a material to be used as a brake pad?
- Describe how composite brake pads/shoes are manufactured.