Engineering Studies – P3 Braking Systems – Materials and Manufacturing
This topic introduces methods of testing materials to determine properties. Hardness and tensile testing procedures and the interpretation of the test data are key concepts.
- Describe and conduct compression/tension testing of materials
- Describe and conduct hardness testing of materials
- Units used to measure
- Relationship between load/extension during testing
- Interpreting test data
- Define the engineering term hardness.
- Describe the engineering term tension.
- Describe the engineering term compression.
- List the testing machines often used to assess tensile strength.
- Describe the process how the data for a load/extension diagram is collected.
- Explain what material properties can be assessed by reading a load/extension diagram.
- List the testing machines often used to assess hardness.
- Describe the process of how the data from a hardness test is collected.
- Explain what units are used for hardness and how hardness test data is used.