Engineering Studies – P4 Biomedical Engineering – Mechanical Analysis
This topic develops skills in analysing simple machines. The purpose of a simple machine is reviewed and the key concepts of calculating ‘mechanical advantage’, ‘velocity ratio’ and ‘efficiency’ are developed.
- Defining the types of simple machines
- Identifying simple machine types within more complex machines or devices
- Mechanical advantage – concept and calculations
- Velocity ratio – concept and calculations
- Efficiency in machines – concept and calculations
- Define the purposes of ‘simple machines’.
- Define a ‘mechanical advantage’.
- Define ‘velocity ratio’.
- Define the ‘principle of work’.
- How is efficiency calculated?
- Name and define ‘lever’ types.
- Name and define ‘pulley’ systems.
- Explain how ‘gears’ and ‘gear ratios’ achieve mechanical advantage and their velocity ratio.
- Explain why ‘wedges’ and the ‘inclined plane’ are found in many applications.
- List reasons why machines are not 100% efficient.