Engineering Studies – H3 Aeronautical Engineering – Mechanical Analysis
This topic reviews bending stress concepts and applies the concepts in aeronautical situations.
- Bending stress concepts including:
- Point loading
- Uniform distributed loads (UDL)
- Bending moments diagrams
- Second moment of area (I)
- Describe the relationship between bending moment and bending stress.
- How are values for bending moments calculated at points along a loaded beam?
- What are the units of a bending moment?
- What is the sign convention for positive and negative moments?
- Why would a bending moment diagram be of use in analysing a beam?
- Explain the concept of the ‘neutral axis’.
- Describe what a ‘second moment of area’ value indicates.