Engineering Studies – H3 Aeronautical Engineering – Materials and Manufacturing
This topic covers the types and applications of thermosetting polymers used in aeronautical applications. Methods of shaping the polymers and combining polymers with a matrix are key concepts of this topic.
- Thermosetting polymer definition and description
- Types of reinforced glass fibre, Kevlar, carbon fibre and Fibre Metal Laminate (FML) as used in aircraft construction
- Shaping methods
- Applications for thermosetting polymers
- Describe the structure of a thermosetting polymer.
- Compare the structure of thermosoftening and thermosetting polymer.
- Discuss these methods of shaping/forming thermosetting polymer:
- Compression moulding
- Hand lay-up
- Vacuum lay-up
- Name 3 thermosetting polymers and an application where they are commonly used.
- Name reasons why fibre-reinforced polymer (FRP) is a common composite material.
- Name various fibre types used for reinforcement in thermosetting polymer applications.
- Describe one Fibre Metal Laminate (FML) used in aeronautics.
- Describe the macrostructure of Kevlar and discuss the material properties.
Composite World Website – USA