Engineering Studies – P1 Fundamental Engineering – Materials and Manufacturing
This topic introduces material structures and atomic bonding categories. Significant terms that are used to describe structures and bonding are key concepts in this topic.
- Understanding the classification of materials
- The bonding in materials
- The structures formed in materials
- Why do engineers classify materials?
- Discuss the typical properties of each category
- Classify materials based on bonding, structure, and properties.
- Describe materials based on atomic structure, properties, state, elements, compounds, or alloy.
- Associate engineering properties of materials with a typical category of material.
- Define the term amorphous.
- Define the term crystalline.
Bonding and Structure
- Discuss the structure of the atom.
- Describe the primary bonds- ionic, covalent and metallic bonds.
- What are Van der Waal forces?
- Describe bonds in ceramic materials and the effect on properties.
- Describe bonds in polymer materials and the effect on properties.
- Describe bonds in metallic materials and the effect on properties.
- Describe the formation of metallic structures during the heating/cooling process – nucleation, dendritic growth of crystals, solidification and grain formation.
- What material properties can be analysed through macro and microstructures?
- Describe crystalline structures BCC, FCC, and HCP in metals.