Engineering Studies – H4 Telecommunication Engineering – Materials and Manufacturing
This topic covers the use of copper alloys in electrical applications. The effect of alloying elements and manufacturing techniques are key concepts.
- Electrical applications of copper alloys and zinc alloys
- Electrical properties of copper alloys and zinc alloys
- Aluminium alloy for electricity transmission
coiled copper wire
- Explain why copper plays a significant role in many electric appliances and electrical systems.
- Name instances where copper is used in electrical applications.
- Name and describe the properties and applications of the following alloys:
- Cu – Zn
- Cu – Sn
- Cu – Al
- Cu – Be
- Cu – Cd
- How is copper wire manufactured?
- What is electrolytic tough pitch copper?
- What insulation is often added on the wire used in electrical motor windings?
- Compare the use of aluminium alloy wire to copper alloy wire when used as an electrical transmission medium.